Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Behind the Scenes: Pattern Storage

So, I mentioned in this post that I use poster board a lot in sewing.  If I draft a new pattern of my own or buy a new PDF pattern online and print it out, I always trace the final version with my alterations and adjustments onto a piece of poster board like this:

Sugarplum Cuties: Pattern Storage

Then, I write on the new poster board pattern the size, what the pattern is for, and what piece it is and cut it out like this:

Sugarplum Cuties: Pattern Storage


Then I punch a hole in the pattern somewhere, usually somewhere it won't rip easily.

Sugarplum Cuties: Pattern Storage

And then I find the hook with all the patterns in that size and stick this new one right on it.  That way, I can easily find whatever pattern I'm looking for and my patterns last a long time and don't wear or tear.  This has been a super great organization tool for me in my business.  You can get the little silver hook and poster board at any Staples, Office Max, etc. and it's all pretty cheap.

Sugarplum Cuties: Pattern Storage

Here's what the wall above my cutting table looks like right now.  Disclaimer: I'm in the middle of cutting a new dress for Rylea and testing out a new pattern on her, so it's a mess!  Whatever, this is life.

Sugarplum Cuties: Pattern Storage

So that's my cutting table.  The row of patterns at the top are all hanging on 3M hooks that are stuck to the wall.  The black shelf to the right of the table is full of kid toys.  On the table you see my printer (for printing postage, patterns, packing slips, ect.) and my iron which recently I've been using for appliques in the Bfly Dresses.  My cutting mat is that green thing underneath everything else.  I've also got my rotary cutter, my blue paper scissors, my purple fabric scissors, a yardstick and a ruler, a hot glue gun (I was using that to fix Dieter's Buzz guy that broke), a pink shirt that's going to be Rylea's new dress when I'm done with this post, some packing tape, my Kindle (why?  I have no idea), and some candy.

I hope this little behind the scenes look at my cutting space doesn't scare you away and it helps show you a little bit about how I keep my patterns neat and tidy and together even if my table isn't currently in a better state.  :)  Happy sewing!

1 comment:

  1. We need storage for different reasons, some of us need it to just store extra stuff and some of us need it because we are faced with a life changing matter and we need to move our belongings to a little place with a lock.
    self storage website design

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...